Monday, November 17, 2008

Dark Days Challenge '08 - '09

I spend a lot of time tooling around on the Internet - a lot. I browse Google Finance, online news sources, blogs about chickens / gardening / eating local, webcomics, etc. While completing my allotted tooling-around time a week or two ago, I came across this wonderful blog: Urban Hennery (which is, now, a not so Urban Hennery since the blogger has moved to a small farm outside the city). It combines information about eating locally, gardening, cooking, and raising chickens - so, of course, it's perfect reading in my opinion. If you are at all interested in the aforementioned subjects, I highly suggest that you check it out.

And when you do, head over to the Dark Days 08 - 09 Tab at the top of the website. It details the annual challenge to eat at least one local meal a week during the winter - no small task when it regularly freezes in your neck of the woods. I've decided to participate, and hopefully I'll discover some interesting ways to eat local in the cold, dark, and wet Midwestern winter. I've decided on some personal rules for this challenge, sort of a pre-New Year's Eve resolution:

1. For the purpose of this challenge, local food is grown/raised within a 200 mile radius. I probably won't have to go that far, but I'd like to give myself as much room as possible this winter, since it's much harder to eat locally between growing seasons. I'll keep you updated on how far I actually have to drive to get my local meal.
2. Even on days when I am not eating local food, I will still cook my own meals. It's been difficult lately to do so, what with the two jobs and the twelve hour work days. Cooking in bulk will help, though (not to mention be nicer to my budget).
3. These meals will be mostly plant-based. While I am certainly not a vegetarian, I have come to the conclusion that meat is a treat, not a staple of our diet.
4. That being said, if my weekly local meal features delicious grass-fed lamb or cattle this winter, I'll be ecstatic. Honestly, how could I not? My mouth waters at the thought.

That's pretty much it! Check in later this week for an update about my first local meal of the winter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thoughtful response to Mercatus today at Simple Spoonful. To be honest, I thought there were several places where the paper was just plain sloppy. Anyway, I plan to do a thorough dressing-down of it, but I have a lot of background to do...more on that later.

The Dark Days challenge sounds interesting. I'm going to blurb about it at my place as well.

Finally--eating less meat is good! Huzzah for your experiment! I think that omnivores really do best with the perspective you mention here--meat as accent or flavor, not slab or centerpiece. ;)