Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dark Days: Week One

I know that it's only the first week of a very, very long challenge, but so far it's been relatively easy to obtain local food in my area. It seems that locavores in Kansas City are blessed with a winter farmer's market. I knew we had multiple summer markets, but winter?? It's too awesome to be true. Eggs, beef, lamb, end-of-season vegetables, greenhouse vegetables and more - all from different vendors, all under one roof. I purchased a dozen eggs and a basket of greenhouse tomatoes from a lovely woman with her own bit of land, some beautiful white radishes and arugula from a backyard garden, two small steaks from grass-finished cattle, and a couple heads of cabbage with which I plan to make cole slaw at some point. Everyone was so friendly as the crowd slowly packed its way into the room. I had a wonderful conversation on how to correctly prepare mustard greens. :)

This week, I settled on a local breakfast. I figured it would be a nice way to start my day. I wish I had a camera - I would provide pictures of how I used my bounty. It's broken, though, so you'll have to make due. I know you'll manage somehow. ;) I started by wilting some roughly chopped arugula in butter. As soon as it had turned that vivid Christmas green, I added the eggs, beaten with a bit of milk (also from a local Missouri farm). As they were just starting to firm up, I added bits of tomato. Salt, pepper, and some rooster sauce (none local) topped it all off. With it we had toast slathered with local clover-flavored honey.

As the months progress, I expect that meals will get more and more challenging, especially since I haven't saved anything from the summer. I'm grateful that there will be a local market open through at least part of this challenge, though. I'm glad to have the support system!

2 comments:

Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

I'm almost scared to ask, but what is rooster sauce?

Caitlin said...

It's delicious! We call it rooster sauce because of the giant rooster on the front of the bottle, but it's more traditionally known as Sriracha sauce. It's from Thailand, and it's made out of pureed chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. You can find it in most grocercy stores now-a-days. :)